Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



1.06.2010

Jalapeno Chicken Dip

We love appetizers! We have them Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and of course for the Super Bowl, which is just around the corner. I will share some of our family faves with you. Not all of them work well with my rotation diet (or anyone's New Year diet for that matter), but they are all gluten-free and guaranteed crowd pleasers!

This one is great with veggies or tortilla chips. It was inspired by a recipe from The Junior League at Home. I've added quite a few additional ingredients and spiced it up. We are not afraid of the heat at our house. So feel free to tame the spice or ramp it up, depending on your family's preference. Either way, everyone always loves this one!



3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt) use onion powder if you are sensitive to garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
dash of cayenne
2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper (roasted reds are yummy as well)
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 roasted green chile, chopped (Slim Jims are my personal fave) or a 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Tobasco sauce
  • Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper onto chicken. That sounds like a lot of garlic powder, but it really makes the dish tasty. Grill until just done (or saute in a skillet with oil if preferred)
  • Finely chop the chicken
  • In a larger bowl mix cream cheese with milk until well incorporated
  • Add in all the rest of the ingredients (including chicken) until well mixed
  • Spread into a greased 8 inch square baking dish (or any shallow 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly
  • Serve with fresh veggies and/or tortilla chips and collect the praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment