Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



12.30.2009

My Favorite Pancakes Ever - and they are gluten-free!


I have tried so many pancake recipes, traditional and gluten-free, and have never found one I loved. Some were doughy, fell apart, dry, unflavorful or something just doesn't work for me (yes, I realize it could be me...) When I became gluten-free, I searched for pancake recipes again for variety sake. I found a great crepe recipe in The Wheat-Free Cook by Jaqueline Mallorca, but no pancake recipe that just thrilled our family. Then a couple weeks ago I was playing around with my new sorghum mix and created these little gems. We love them-especially with chocolate chips and chopped strawberries! Oh yum!

1 1/4 cup of sorghum flour mix
1/2 tsp guar gum
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten (or egg replacer for vegan)
1 tbsp honey or agave
1 cup milk (cow, nut, hemp, rice, or soy)
2 tbsp oil (I have used grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, and melted coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup chopped strawberries or bananas (optional)

Mix flour, guar gum, baking powder, soda and salt together. In another bowl beat egg and add milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar and mix. Add flour mixture all at once, stirring just until the flour is mixed in. Pour 1/4 cup portions (or whatever size pancakes you like) onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet. If using chocolate chips and strawberries, sprinkle on batter as soon as you pour it on the griddle. Flip when the bubbles start popping and the edges are beginning to dry and firm up. Enjoy!

Time Saving Tip: Mix the dry ingredients together the night before. Then just add the liquid ingredients in the morning.

Other flavor add-ins in place of strawberries and chocolate chips:
1/2 large or 1 small mashed banana and 1/4 cup toasted pecans
1/2 large or 1 small mashed banana, 1/8 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/8 cup mini-chocolate chips
1/2 cup blueberries and 1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/2 cup finely grated apple and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (reduce milk by 2 tbsp)

These are the chocolate chips I usually use. They do contain cane sugar, but they are prepared in a dedicated factory and are gluten, soy, and dairy free.

3 comments:

  1. arelyn8/17/2013

    Just found this recipe and they really are the best GF pancakes we've had. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I plan to make it tonight. About how many pancakes does one recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Have your read The Plant Paradox by Dr. Gundry?? You might really like that book and lifestyle of avoiding bad lectins.

    ReplyDelete