Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



12.01.2009

Sweet Potato Biscuits



Oh, how I needed bread, something to go with my steamy cup of coffee. I wanted crispy on the outside, tender on the inside (hold the grit, please), slightly sweet, a vehicle for drippy honey. I needed a biscuit! My daughter's friend shared Thanksgiving with us and was telling us about sweet potato biscuits, one of her favorite holiday foods. I just had to try a gluten-free version since I still had leftover baked sweet potato from my sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving-it was destiny (or perhaps just lucky leftovers). Either way, I ran with it! And am I ever glad I did-yum!

1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp guar gum
2 tsp baking powder (Hain featherweight is gluten free and corn free)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp Spectrum Organic Shortening, chilled (butter is fine if you can handle dairy)
3/4 cup sweet potato puree, chilled
2 tbsp agave or honey
1/3 cup milk of choice (I used hazelnut milk) + 1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice to simulate buttermilk
  • Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
  • Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives
  • Puree sweet potatoes in a blender or food processor and add "buttermilk" and agave 
  • Add potato mixture to flour mixture and blend quickly, careful not to overwork or let get too warm. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If necessary, use extra flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands
  • Spread or roll dough into the shape of a disk on a lightly floured surface (I like to use a pastry cloth or waxed paper)
  • With a floured 2 or 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or glass, cut as many biscuits as possible. Reshape any scraps and cut biscuits from them
  • Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-17 minutes, until the edges are golden



No comments:

Post a Comment