Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.30.2009

Pork Broth



I realize pork broth isn't a standard broth. In fact, I'm not sure you can even find it at the store. But when you are on a rotation diet which doesn't allow the use of chicken broth multiple times a week, you have to get creative. I really like using this for bean and lentil soups. By design, pork is one of my protein choices on bean and lentil day, such a great pairing!

3.5-4 pounds pork bones
3-4 whole carrots, chunked or 20 baby carrots
2 small or 1 large onion, quartered
1 parsnip, chunked (optional)
3-4 celery stalks, chunked (leaves included)
15 fresh sage leaves
2 bay leaves
sprig of fresh rosemary (thyme is also tasty)
1-2 tbsp salt (start with 1 and add to taste)
6 quarts of water
1-2 tbsp Ume Plum Vinegar (apple cider would be good as well)

  • Drizzle a small amount of vinegar over meat, onion, carrots, and parsnip
  • Sprinkle with about 1 tsp salt and roast for 1 hour at 400 degrees
  • About 15 minutes before roasting is finished, heat water, celery, herbs and 2 tsp salt in a large stock pot
  • Once roasted and browned, add meat and vegetables to stock pot and bring to a simmer
  • Simmer for 4 hours, skimming off foam every hour or so
  • I like to chill the stock overnight, skim off any fat and then strain into quart jars and freeze. If you are using it right away, then just strain and use.





2 comments:

  1. WOW! You are so creative. I LOVE your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie! That is such a nice compliment coming from such an accomplished cook as yourself.

    ReplyDelete