Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.21.2009

A Curry For One



Photo by my 13 year old daughter

A busy day at our house today: weekly grocery shopping, Christmas card pictures (no small feat with a rambunctious toddler and moody 13 year old), rock climbing for the oldest girl, and busy boy-cousin birthday at local pizza parlor. Of course, nothing on the menu is on my "can enjoy" list, so I am now home-tired and hungry. What to eat...no easy leftovers that fit into my rotation day...I definitely want something tasty after smelling yummy pizza all evening...hmmm. Luckily, I have all the ingredients for a quick "can enjoy" sort-of curry soup. Yay!

Keep in mind, with no garlic, soy, coriander, or lime allowed-this does not measure up to my favorite Thai Curry Soup. I will have to post that original recipe for you, because it is a definite top ten fave! Until that one is back in my repertoire, this one will do.

Mix the following seasonings together:
pinch of ground fennel
1/2 tsp finely chopped dried lemongrass (a spice mill or coffee grinder works well for this job)
1/4 tsp paprika dash cayenne 1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ghee or favorite oil
1 tsp ginger, minced or grated
3 scallions, sliced (white and green parts)
1 cup broth (vegetable, chicken or fish)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 small zucchini, sliced in rounds and quartered
1/2 cup shrimp
1/2 cup scallops
1-2 tsp lemon juice, to taste (a light vinegar will do if citrus is not tolerated)

  • Heat ghee in a medium sauce pan and add white parts of scallions
  • Stir in seasoning mixture and ginger
  • Add coconut milk and broth
  • Once heated, add seafood and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes (until shrimp are opaque)
  • Remove from heat, add lemon juice to taste, sprinkle with green scallions and enjoy! 
Variation: Use chicken in place of or in combination with seafood. Replace meat with extra vegetables (yellow and green squash, slivered snow peas, slivered bok choy). If you can eat it, sprinkle soup with cilantro and a squeeze of lime. San J Wheat-Free Tamari sauce is also a tasty addition if not allergic.

No comments:

Post a Comment