Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.30.2009

One Juicy Turkey


Although my photography doesn't do justice, this turkey was so juicy and delicious! We brined it for 3 days before roasting. I need to work on my carving technique, but I think I have the recipe down.

 
Hope your Thanksgiving was filled with family, love, great food! I'm not sure what I love most-time with my family or all of the delightful dishes! I am lucky to have married into such a wonderful family who also are great cooks! Our get-togethers are always filled with yummy treats and lots of laughs. Now that Thanksgiving is over, we are enjoying such dishes as Turkey Green Chile, Turkey Enchiladas, and of course, Turkey Sandwiches. I will be sharing some of these dishes in the next week.
 
Honey-Brined Turkey
8 quarts water
1/2 cup salt (Real, Celtic Sea, or Kosher salt is preferred)
1/3 cup honey
1 large or 2 small onions, diced
2-3 ribs of celery (leaves included), sliced
2 carrots (10-12 baby carrots), sliced
6 bay leaves
several sprigs fresh rosemary
15-20 fresh sage leaves
a turkey (mine was about 14 pounds)
2 large oven bags
  • Mix all ingredients in one of the large oven bags that has been placed in your largest pot, bowl or deepest roasting pan
  • Be sure to mix until the salt and honey have dissolved into the water
  • Place your bird into the bag of brine, close the bag tightly enough to squeeze out the air and completely cover the turkey with brine
  • Marinate for 2-3 days
  • Drain the turkey (I did not rinse) and place in a fresh oven bag in a roasting pan
  • Bake at 350 degrees until a thermometer inserted in the deepest part of the turkey reaches 180 degrees. Mine took 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment