Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.10.2009

Spinach and Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette


My girls loved this spinach salad the other night. It is rather pretty with the pink dressing against the bright green spinach leaves.

 
For the Salad:
1 container of organic baby spinach
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in the oven or in a skillet
2 ounces of Chevre style goat cheese, crumbled

 
For the Dressing:
1/2 cup fresh raspberries, washed
1/3 cup of oil (I prefer walnut or hazelnut, but olive oil is a great choice too)
2 tbls raspberry vinegar
1 tsp minced onion or shallot
1-2 tsp honey, depending on the sweetness of the raspberries
salt and pepper to taste
  • Blend dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (there will still be seeds)
  • Place spinach in a serving bowl, top with dressing and sprinkle with goat cheese and pine nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment