It certainly isn't dairy free, but my family just loves this simple velvety soup. Frigid weather combined with a couple sick girls has us making several soups recently. This one is a crowd pleaser for sure. We served it at our National Charity League meeting and received many thumbs up. This is basically a lightened version of Jill Prescott's recipe from Ecole de Cuisine.
3 large leeks, white and light green parts. rinse very well to remove dirt and grit.
2-3 tbsp butter
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
12 ounces cream or half and half
1-2 tsp salt, to taste
white or black pepper to taste
cooked bacon pieces (optional for non vegetarians) I really like Applewood's Sunday Bacon, no added nitrates
- Cut off dark green part of the leek. Cut in half length-wise, rinse between the layers, and slice in 1/4 inch slices
- Saute leeks in butter over medium low heat, careful not to brown
- Once softened add potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft
- Blend in batches in a blender or with an imersion blender stick (food processors do not work well for this)
- Stir in cream, salt, and pepper and gently heat
- Top individual bowls of soup with bacon and enjoy!