Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



12.15.2009

Sorghum & Millet Flour Blend



I know there are so many gluten-free flour blends in cookbooks and on the market, and usually I opt for the convenience of Pamela's or Bob's All-Purpose gluten-free blends. But very recently I have explored beyond these two brands because I cannot have the almonds or rice in Pamela's, and I don't love the beany aftertaste in Bob's. I realize the gar-fava flour blend in Bob's is more nutritious than other options, but I just don't love the flavor in all baked goods. So after trying recipes and experimenting at home, I have developed a blend I LOVE! It's a sorghum, millet and tapioca flour blend that has worked beautifully in muffins, brownies, and pancakes! Yipee! There is no grit, no strange aftertaste, no dry or crumbly textures. It's light, moist and more like wheat recipes than any I have used in my 3 years of experimenting.

Even though sorghum is not a powerhouse of nutrition like almond flour or gar-fava flour, it is still much more nutritious than rice flour with more than twice the protein, more insoluble fiber and fewer calories. The fiber makes it slower to digest, leaving you feeling fuller longer. This is also better for diabetics because it takes longer to convert to sugars.

The only thing I would like to change is to find an organic sorghum flour that has been milled in a dedicated gluten-free plant. I have found organic sorghum flour packaged on machinery used for wheat or a non-organic sorghum flour milled in a dedicated gluten-free factory. I chose gluten-free over organic-It's just not worth the risk of cross-contamination. I really like Authentic Foods brand of superfine sorghum flour (I order it through Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods so I don't have to pay shipping). Bob's Red Mill also sells sorghum flour, which Amazon carries with a rather steep shipping fee, so I also order it through Vitamin Cottage with a case discount and no shipping fees.

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch (or flour)

You will need to add guar gum or xanthan gum to recipes. I use about 1/2 tsp. of guar gum per cup of flour mix and have had good results. I prefer guar gum because it is more naturally derived than xanthan gum. I also have a bad reaction to xanthan gum, possibly because it is often produced and harvested on corn.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I just got some millet flour so will need to try out your mix. I am partial to Authentic Foods Multi-Blend Flour and Better Batter when I want something quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! Let me know how it works out for you. I love Authentic Foods products! I cannot have cornstarch and just realized sorghum seems to be a problem as well. I think I will try Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend next. I will be visiting the Sensitive Pantry soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of you who like Authentic Foods super fine flours, you can create the same thing in your own kitchen. Put your brown rice (or any other type) flour in your blender, foodprocessor, Vita Mix--whatever you have, and turn it on. It will become finer flour and save you a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete