Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



1.14.2010

Sweet Potato Fries




My family really likes these fries, especially my girls! We don't even need dipping sauce.Vitamin A with over 700% of your RDA in one serving. In addition, they have a respectable amount of Vitamin C, B6, Potassium and fiber.

These are almost as easy as opening a package of frozen ones, but much tastier! I especially like these with burgers or pork. Two large sweet potatoes serve as a side dish for about 4 people.

2 large sweet potatoes
salt, pepper, and cayenne (optional)
1-2 tbsp oil of choice (I used sunflower)
  • Scrub or peel potatoes (keeping the skin on adds to the fiber content-I peeled the ones in the picture because the skins weren't looking so tasty)
  • Cut into 1/2 inch by 3 inch sticks (1/3 inch if smaller fries are preferred)
  • Lightly coat with oil
  • Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a small pinch of cayenne if you like spice
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir half way through to recoat with oil and to promote even browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment