6 fresh jalapeño peppers
6-8 ounces of cream cheese (light or regular)
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve drippings)
onion powder or garlic powder to rub on jalapeños before grilling
oil for sautéing peppers (about 1/4 cup) I used safflower oil
- Preheat grill or broiler for peppers.
- Rub whole peppers with oil and sprinkle with onion or garlic powder and salt
- Grill until skin is slightly charred and blistered on all sides
- Remove stems and seeds from peppers. Using gloves will keep the hot oils from irritating your skin (trust me... removing your contacts from your eyes is a torturous process after seeding peppers with your bare fingers-ouch!)
- Cut each jalapeño lengthwise into 6 strips
- Soak one rice paper at a time in cool water until soft (30 seconds or so). I just let the next paper soak while I was rolling one popper
- Pat the excess water off of the soaked rice paper with a towel or paper towel. Lay it out on your work surface and place 2-3 strips of grilled pepper, about 1 tbsp bacon crumbles (or 1/3 of a full strip), and 1/2 ounceish chunk of cream cheese in the middle of the rice paper. Fold up the bottom half of paper over the filling. Fold in each of the sides and roll up "egg roll" or "burrito" style.