Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



1.28.2010

Gluten-Free Fettucine with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


 
I just recently tested tomatoes on rotational basis and did not have a reaction: YAY! I am not brave enough to eat a marinara or red meat sauce yet, but an occasional tomato on a salad, with an egg, or on a sandwich is a beautiful thing! In its stead I developed a roasted red pepper sauce that is wonderfully rich on pasta or white fish. I think jarred peppers would work, but roasting your own peppers is so aromatic as well as simple.

 
To roast, heat up the grill or broiler to med-high (mine is about 400-450 degrees). Put peppers on and turn every 4 minutes or so, whenever the skin turns black. Once all sides are black, take off grill (or out from under broiler) and place in a glass or metal bowl and cover with a lid or foil to steam. After about 12-20 minutes, peel the charred skin off. It should come right off. Then pull the stem out which pulls out most of the seeds. Cut into fourths and scrape the seeds and veins off. They smell so good!



  • 1, 14 ounce package of Tinkyada fettucine, cooked and rinsed (or other favorite GF pasta)
  • 1/3 cup chopped white or yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp oil (olive, grapeseed, safflower or other oil of choice)
  • 1 jar or 4 roasted red peppers
  • 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp slivered basil
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Saute onion in oil over med-low heat, until soft but not brown. Add roasted red peppers, onion, vinegar, broth and goat cheese in blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place cooked and rinsed pasta and sauce in the same pan the pasta was cooked and heat until hot. Or heat sauce and pour over hot pasta. Serve in a pasta bowl and top with basil and toasted pine nuts.

 Toasted pine nuts: toast nuts in a dry skillet over med-high heat, shaking pan often to toast evenly
For fish: replace red wine vinegar with lemon juice

 

No comments:

Post a Comment