Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



2.03.2010

Soy-Free Mayonnaise


`
I admit, I love mayonnaise. Not like eating it straight out of the jar love it, but with sandwiches, in dips, spreads, and salad dressings. It adds creaminess and tang that is just so good. It's nearly impossible to find commercially made mayo that works with my numerous sensitivities, so I make my own and might never use store-bought again!

If you are concerned about using raw eggs, check out this tip from the Incredible Edible Egg website. I have not tried this method yet and would love to hear from anyone who has.

2 tbsp red wine vinegar ( Spectrum organic with no sulfites added) or lemon juice
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp agave nectar (more if you prefer a sweeter mayo like Kraft)
2 cups of light tasting oil like Sunflower or Safflower
  • Unless you have arm stamina like the Hulk, use a food processor or blender for this job. Cuisinart's mini food processor works perfectly! Mix together the vinegar, yolks, salt and agave in the processor or blender bowl
  • Add the oil VERY slowly. The mini food processor has an oil resevoir on top that drips oil a tiny bit at a time which is very helpful. If you pour oil in too quickly it becomes an oily mess rather than a creamy mayo. Use all of the oil
  • If the mayo is too thick, thin with a little bit of water to the desired consistency
  • Store foods with mayonnaise at 40 degrees F or below or at 140 degrees F or higher to prevent growth of bacteria

No comments:

Post a Comment