Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



2.09.2010

Creamy Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad. I love it on crackers, on toast, on a bed of lettuce or on a spoon! There are so many variations as well: curry, asian, spicy, traditional, with pecans, pistachios, almonds, pine nuts, grapes, apples, oranges, cranberries, pineapple, coconut...endless possibilities!

This recipe is more of a traditional chicken salad with mayonnaise, grapes and pistachios. I hope you enjoy it!

4 chicken breasts, poached, chilled and chopped (poaching directions below)
1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise (to taste-for salads I add more mayo because it is my dressing as well)
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup slivered scallions
salt and pepper to taste
1 heaping cup grapes (red add a pretty color) halved or quartered
1/2 heaping cup pistachios (or any favorite nut) rough chopped

To Poach Chicken:
    Place chicken in a pan in a single layer
    Cover chicken breasts with water or broth (I prefer 1/2 cup vermouth or white wine, 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, and fill with broth until chicken was covered by 1/2 inch)
    Bring to a boil and immediately turn to low heat
    Partially cover pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, depending how thick the meat is
    Turn the heat off and let chicken sit in the poaching liquid 10 more minutes
    Remove from poaching liquid and cool until ready to use
    Strain and freeze poaching liquid for next use

For the Salad:
    Cube the cooled poached chicken and add to a bowl
    Stir in mayo, celery, scallions, grapes and nuts
    Serve over lettuce or with crackers or toast

No comments:

Post a Comment